Thursday, April 20, 2006

About The Blog Owner

[Note: if you started by entering this section of the blog in its standalone web page form, you should go to the blog home page to view the main content and discussion.]

This whole topic is extremely politically sensitive, and it takes a bit of courage to even talk about it. People who don't know me can make all kinds of assumptions about me. Or they can make all kinds of accusations in an attempt to discredit me and what I write here.

Maybe an anonymous blog isn't as courageous as all that, but nonetheless I want to give a little background about myself. It might be useful to understand me and where my comments are coming from.

All Americans are descendants of immigrants. My lineage is 50% Irish and almost 50% English.

For those who would summarily and unfoundedly label me as a "racist" because I dare to make any negative comments about immigration from Mexico, I would argue that the issue would be the same regardless of what single background a mass migration comes from. I am only singling out Mexican immigrants because the data points directly to Mexico: they are more than 50% of our immigration today (in Texas), and by 2040 they are projected to be more than 50% of my state's population (I live in Texas).

Before I met my wife, I was fortunate enough to have girlfriends who came from all parts of the world and all races. They enriched me with their perspectives and their new ways of thinking. And my wife just immigrated to USA last year so that she can be with me. She doesn't particularly want to be in USA (she misses her home country dreadfully), but she is making sacrifices to be with her new husband. Thus I am vicariously experiencing some of the problems an immigrant faces, through the experiences of my own wife. And I am growing as a person with exposure to her non-American family values and social customs.

I have travelled to almost every continent on the globe. I lived and worked in Europe for 10 months (some for my job and other parts while on a military deployment in 2000). I've travelled quite a lot in Europe, and also to two countries in Asia and repeatedly to one country in the Middle East. With the exceptions already noted, all of my travels were for personal reasons.

My travels have shown me that every country and every culture has its own unique characteristics. I've seen many things that made me think, "why doesn't America do it this way? It's so much better their way!" And I've also seen things that made me say, "these people have problems; they should learn from America." And things here at home that I took for granted now have great meaning. Things that most Americans still take for granted.

I am lucky to have had these kinds of opportunities to meet and learn from foreign cultures. It would be a farce to say that I am a xenophobe or afraid of outside influences. It is not with pleasure that I am "blogging" on the Internet about these sensitive immigration issues. Rather, I find myself alarmed at what I see happening, and I wish to discuss it with others. I welcome opposing views and will factor them into my own thinking.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Weber said...

Hi, I'm putting together a list of immigration blogs, and I think yours is one of the best. Is there an email address I could use to contact you for further details? Write to me at aaron@toptensources.com

10:03 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger alex said...

Well, fellas, you picked an interesting topic. While I'm sympathetic toward people who want to come to the USA in search of a better life (whatever that is) I do believe it is the duty of any government to provide a framework of laws and the duty of the people to obey those laws. That goes for anyone who wants to come to the USA to vacation, study, work or whatever. Just what to do about the people who disregard the laws of our country is the problem. Live fire exercises along the border might be a little extreme, but there's no fence and no stupid drone that can stop somebody who wants to cross the border unless we're ready and willing to defend it. Any suggestions for a middle ground?

3:22 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home